Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Turbo Kickboxing and Lentil Loaf!


Busy day, today!

I got back from kickboxing, feeling great.

I don't have a recipe to post today, because it took so darn long to make! But let me tell you about how I got into Turbo Kickboxing.  I signed up at 24 Hour Fitness when I still had pretty much all my weight to lose. I chose it, because it had a few locations that were close to where I worked, and two that were close to my house. 

Also, I noticed that they had classes. Most of the classes started at 6:00. Which, that’s fine. However, I got out of work at 4pm. I wanted to be able to go directly to the gym, take a class, come home and do nothing. Basically, once I get home.. I want to stay there.  Turbo Kickboxing started at 5pm. Perfect!

Well, the first class I took, I thought I was going to pass out. It was the hardest class I’d ever taken. Also, kind of a bummer, I was the biggest girl there. I slowly looked around and realized that there were no overweight people (except for me) in that class. *gulp* But no matter. I was in the back, so I’d stop and rest from time to time.

Yeah, it was hard. But I loved it! The music really pumped me up, along with the choreography. It’s a little like fighting, but dancing at the same time. 

Eventually, I could make it through a whole class. And for a short time, I was going twice a week! Now, I really hate to miss it. Wow, I’ve been taking this class for over 2 years. Amazing when you think about it!

And.. like I said, I don’t have a recipe for you tonight. I tried a new lentil loaf, and made a mushroom gravy for the leftover garlic potatoes: Pictured here.



I know. Not a lot of green or pretty color on the plate, but a whole lot of comfort! IT WAS SO GOOD! I will post the recipe for lentil loaf tomorrow.  Best Lentil loaf I’ve tried. Holiday Quality! No ketchup needed. :)

 

9 comments:

  1. I know you're vegan now so i might be completely offensive with the following talk of cheese-- but I was wondering if you had some good tried and tested vegetarian party recipes up your sleeve: I am making a party menu for halloween - I tried a few recipes out there for meatless "meatballs" but they were essentially a big ball of cheese and bread crumbs- any ideas? I'm at a loss :-( Other things on the menu include rochfort cheese biscuits, french onion mushrooms and tomato & goat cheese and hummus&pita--so already pretty cheese heavy LOL- I've been planning the menu out for a while but am left unsatisfied-- what do you think?
    I even messaged your parents about a meatball sauce recipe that your mom used years back during your high school graduation party for this party! I haven't heard back yet on that, but any ideas would be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, HOW DARE YOU! (lol, jk!) :)

    Second of all, I'm a terrible friend, because my mom totally did send me that recipe for you. Here it is!

    Sweet and Sour Meatballs
    1 12oz jar grape jelly
    2 12 oz bottles chili sauce
    2 Tbsp lemon juice

    Combine ingredients in a saucepan till blended. Add to meatballs. Can be doubled if you're having a big party!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Third of all, this sounds like a challenge!

    I DO know a few good ones.

    -Texas Caviar (really good with Tortilla Scoops)
    It makes a huge bowl, let me find the recipe..

    -Twice Baked Hockey Nuts
    http://ohsheglows.com/2010/09/30/hockey-nuts-in-canada/

    -Popcorn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As far as "Meatballs" go, I've had some pretty good success with 'Wheatballs'.

    1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
    1 cup chopped white mushrooms
    2 minced garlic cloves
    2 Tbsp fresh parsley
    2 Tbsp tomato paste
    2 Tbsp Soy sauce
    1 Tbsp Water
    1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
    1/2 cup bread crumbs
    1/2 cup Vital Wheat Gluten (I can find this in the flour aisle, in a smallish box)
    1/4 cup nutritional yeast
    1 tsp dry basil
    3/4 tsp dry oregano
    1/2 tsp paprika
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp pepper

    -In Food processor, combine chickpeas, mushrooms, garlic, and parsely. Pulse until coarsely ground.

    -Scrape into a large bowl and add the rest of the ingredients. Knead the mixture until well blended. About 3 minutes.

    -Bake in an oiled baking pan at 375 for 25 min. turning halfway through.

    I bet they would be pretty good with the sweet and sour sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh hellz yeah I talked about cheese--bring it on!

    And you did!!!

    First- yay! Thank your mom for me! That was such a great sauce and the above recipe seems so easy.
    Second- The Wheatballs seem FAR superior to the balls of cheese!!!!! Thank YOU Thank You Thank You!! I can't wait to make them tonight! I love mushrooms and chickpeas-- I will post pictures for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG- the hockey nuts looks great! Have you made them before? That is going on the list....I can't wait to see what the Texas Caviar is!

    ReplyDelete
  7. No, I haven't gotten the chance to make them, yet. I love pretty much all the recipes on that site though, so I bet they're awesome.

    Texas Caviar! It's sort of like a chunky bean salsa. It makes a huge bowl! Nick seriously chows down on this whenever we make it.

    Texas Caviar

    1 can Black beans
    1 can Blackeyed Peas
    1 can white corn
    Drain and rinse well. Place in large bowl.

    Chop and add: 1 medium onion
    1 regular pepper (I like red for color)
    2 medium tomatoes
    4 green onions
    1/4 cup dried parsley

    Add canned ingredients and mix well.

    In small chopper place:
    1 jalapeno (the green part only)
    2 cloves garlic.
    Mince or puree and add to bowl.

    Add 8oz of Paul Newman's Olive Oil and Vinegar dressing or whatever dressing you want. Mix and chill before serving.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH OOPS.. *Roll the dough into balls* Should've been right before 'bake in the pan'.

    Eeeek I hope you like them!

    ReplyDelete