Friday, October 14, 2011

Oh Thank god the week is over..

I have felt so tired this week! I even missed blogging yesterday night because I fell asleep early. Guess I must've needed it. I even skipped my workout yesterday.

But that's okay, because I think it set me up for a HUGE WIN today! I sometimes work out during my lunch break at my office building's gym. On Fridays, it's usually just weights, but since I skipped running, I thought I'd get a couple miles in. I ran a 10 minute mile!! Finally! True, it was on an inside treadmill with an incline of 0. But it's a start!!! :)

Friday night is pizza night. That's just the way it is and always will be. I didn't do the pesto pizza this time, though. I tried something new. It's called:

Tuscan White Bean Pizza

I always make my own pizza dough. I use little packs of instant yeast with 1 cup of hot water and a tsp. of sugar. Let it sit for about 10 min. Stir in 1 cup of all-purpose flour. Then start adding 1 more cup gradually, and stirring, until you can start kneading with your hands. I knead about 5 min or so. Then put the dough ball in a cooking sprayed bowl with a wet towel over it to rise for about 1 hr. You could also mix herbs like rosemary or basil in the dough if you want  an herbed dough.

Okay, but here's where the actual pizza starts.

I spread out the dough on parchment paper. (It will later be slid over to the pizza stone, which has been preheating in the oven. This makes the crust crispier)

Ready? Okay!

1 Tbsp olive oil
3 garlic cloves (minced)
1 15oz can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed.
1 handful or so of spinach
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/3 cup water or stock
3 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
4 medium ripe Roma tomatoes cut into slices

Sautee the garlic cloves in the olive oil for about 2 min. Add beans, salt and pepper. Mash the beans to break them up, then stir in the water and simmer for about 3 min. (I used a potato masher) Add handful of spinach, let simmer for 5 min. more, stirring around while it wilts. Turn off the burner and throw in the basil. Mix around.

To assemble: Sprinkle garlic powder on the outside rim of the crust.

Spread the bean mixture evenly on top of the dough:


Looks a little gross, but that's okay. Because we're going to cover it with beautiful Roma tomatoes. Also, I had some leftover Kalamata olives that I used on MY side of the pizza, and also some leftover faux parm cheese from last week.





Oh, and this was baked at 425 for about 15 minutes.

Fantastic pizza. Would definitely try again. Cheese was not even missed. I didn't think it was possible. BE CAREFUL, THOUGH! Something about the beans or the tomatoes.. not sure but it was REALLY HOT when I first tried to eat it. I almost burned my fingers because I didn't want to put it down. :) But no, really. Maybe let it rest for a few minutes before attempting to pick it up.

2 comments:

  1. What's the parm cheese you use made of?

    Well, the parm-like tasty substance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! The parm-ish substance is:

    1/2 cup slivered almonds
    3 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
    1/2 tsp salt

    In a food processor, pulse everything to avoid overprocessing. (It could turn into a paste) It keeps for two weeks, tightly covered in the fridge. :)

    ReplyDelete