Tuesday, October 18, 2011

RICE and Chili

I had a serious dilemma today. Yesterday, during my rotten run, the back of my right heel started hurting. It was kind of a sharp pain. Achilles tendon? Not sure.  Then this morning, it was sore. By this afternoon, I was noticably limping. Should I go to kickboxing anyway?

Here’s how I look at it:

1) I could go to kickboxing, and everything would be fine. Ankle stays the same.
2) I could go to kickboxing, and land wrong on my foot. Ankle could be injured.
3) I could stay home and not go to kickboxing, which, I love kickboxing. But I could prevent this potential injury from getting worse.

Don’t worry, the toenails are painted. Things aren’t that bad, yet.

Yep, I chose 3. I love kickboxing, and I really will miss going. However 3 has the most benefit and least risk associated with it.  I chose to employ the Runner’s World recommended plan for warding off injury.

Rest – try to stay off ankle
Ice – apply ice to ankle. Preferably with fabric between ice and skin.
Compression – I tie my ice pack to my ankle for compression. But it really means wearing a compression type band. I don’t have one of these.
Elevation – Elevate ankle. My posture is pretty bad when I slouch in my chair to do this. But it’s only for a couple days.

RICE! I was pretty sure I’d explain it at some point. Was hoping it wouldn’t be so soon! But this more like a potential injury than an actual one. It’s just sore and I get SUPER PARANOID about hurting joints when I’m training for a Half Marathon.

Dinner tonight is a vegan dish that I have made for SO LONG that it’s burned in my memory. I never even thought of it as being vegan. Just delicious! And perfect for fall, really.

Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili
1 or 2 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 red onion (chopped)
2 Sweet potatoes (peeled and chopped 1"-2" pieces)
1 cup of water
1 ½ cups of Salsa. (Actually the recipe says a jar, but I buy salsa in bulk.  So this is an appx. Measurement)
1 Tbsp Chili powder
1 tsp cumin
½ tsp kosher salt
2 cans of black beans (NOT drained)

Directions:

Preheat the Tbsp of olive oil and add the minced garlic and red onion. Heat on about med. High for 8 min, making sure to keep an occasional eye on it. When the onions get slightly browned and translucent add the water, salsa, sweet potatoes, chili, cumin and salt. Put a lid on the pot and bring to a boil. Let it simmer for 30 min. Poke Sweet potatoes with a fork to make sure they’re soft. If so, add 2 cans of black beans with their juices included. Stir and heat for about 5 min. more.

You can eat right away after this. Sometimes I like to let it sit for a few minutes to let the flavors meld some more, and to let it cool down. This is also a dish that is even better the next day!

OKAY, So I'm watching The Biggest Loser.. This family from Frisco, TX just took trainer Bob Harper to a BBQ joint. Bob Harper is a vegan. He's eating 3 bean salad and a corn on the cob. LOL This sounds suspiciously like the time I had bagged iceberg lettuce and the stuffing that I brought for Thanksgiving dinner with the in-laws. Oh, TX. Sigh.

1 comment:

  1. You made the right decision- the worst thing you can possibly do is hurt your ankle even worse resulting in weeks on the couch vs. a day or 2.

    btw: pretty toes!!

    ReplyDelete