Friday, October 7, 2011

Just Desserts

Hola! This post is coming to you pretty late! I was going to make a fabulous vegan pizza using pesto as a sauce, loaded with so many roasted veggies, you wouldn't notice that there wasn't any cheese. I could not do that, though, because Nick used the rest of my yeast for some weird enzyme experiment to unclog pipes.

While I started looking up recipes for no-yeast pizza dough, and contemplated starting to make the pesto, Nick called Dominoes, to make amends.

It's their Pacific veggie pizza, so it WAS vegetarian, but... not vegan. I don't get too down on myself when things like this happen. I feel like even just striving to eat less meat, cheese, eggs, ect. is doing a good thing. I'm never going to be 100% perfect when it comes to veganism, and that's okay. If I tried, I would drive myself crazy. So I just do the best I can.

So, moving on... Who wants dessert? :)

This is a variation on Frozen Banana Soft Serve Ice Cream. Basically, you can make a frozen treat with the same consistency of soft serve ice cream by simply freezing a banana, and then putting it in the food processor. 

The only problem I have with this very simple equation, is that if you make an ice cream out of a banana... well, it's going to taste like a banana. I'm not a huge fan of bananas. They're overly sweet and have a weird texture. They get these gross brown spots and... Well, I sometimes eat them plain, because they're good for you but I don't really enjoy it. Sometimes I put them in smoothies, because it's not a stand alone flavor. They're really good in breads, muffins, and other baked goods.

This is yet another recipe I found at OhSheGlows.com.

Pumpkin Gingerbread Banana Soft Serve

Process together:
  • 1 frozen banana,
  • 1 tbsp soy or almond milk,
  • 3 tbsp canned pumpkin,
  • 1 tsp blackstrap molasses,
  • 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice. 
  • A sprinkle of cinnamon on top

It really does take a few minutes, and you have to scrape off the sides from time to time. I put it back in the freezer for a few minutes before eating. It makes 1 medium sized bowl or 2 small bowls of "ice cream".

The banana taste is definitely still there, but with the other ingredients, it's pretty decent. More so, if you don't have a banana aversion.

And actually, the variations you can do with the 'banana ice cream' are endless. Chocolate chips & banana. Peanut butter & banana. Frozen strawberries & Frozen banana.. Rum & Frozen banana. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment