Saturday, October 15, 2011

Protein Power!

When I woke up, the rest of the pizza was gone! I think that's a pretty good review from the omnivore. :)

Great run this morning! I got in 6 miles. I woke up thinking, ‘Oh god, 6. WHOLE. MILES’. But once I warmed up, it felt nice. 

I can’t tell you my pace, though, because when I stopped running, I hit the wrong button on my watch, so the timer was still going during my cooldown. AUGHH! I CAN tell you that with 6 miles + 1/4 mile cooldown + figuring out what happened = the overall time, which was 1 hr. 16 min. Sigh. . But the important thing is, that I ran 6 miles, and burned over 1000 calories! (1008 to be exact)

Time for a recovery meal! Now that I’ve started marathon training and weight lifting for realsies, I decided to get on board with the protein shake thing. I use Spirutein, which was a recommendation from another vegetarian runner friend of mine. Spirutein is actually vegan, and contains 14g of protein per serving. Very low on fat. 



So with this protein shake (chocolate peanut butter flavored) and oatmeal w/ 1 Tbsp peanut butter mixed in, we have.. hmm.. 14g (shake) + 4g (PB) + 5g (1/2 cup oats) = 23g of protein! And if you throw in the bagel thin I grabbed before my run, that brings it up to 28g of protein! That is over half of the recommended value of protein intake for the average woman (46g a day). It’s not even lunch time yet!

I know what you’re saying.. That’s cheating, you used a PROTEIN SHAKE. Well, okay. Maybe it’s a little bit of a cheat, but what I’m getting at is that there’s more than one way to get your protein in. If you start reading packages, you will be amazed how much protein is in your non-animal foods.

There are some people who will say that there’s NO WAY to get in all the protein you need without meat.. especially without meat, dairy or eggs! Well, that’s a myth.  

For the rest of the day, I've decided to check out the documentary Forks Over Knives. Google says that the premise is this:

The feature film Forks Over Knives examines the profound claim that most, if not all, of the degenerative diseases that afflict us can be controlled, or even reversed, by rejecting animal-based and processed foods.


It's a bold claim! We shall see!

2 comments:

  1. Try the cookies and cream, if they still make it. I believe that one's vegan, and if you mix it up well enough it tastes like an Oreo shake. Sort of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have that one, too! That was the first kind I got, actually.

    ReplyDelete