Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Lazy Tuesday

You’ll never guess who came to my neighborhood today.

That’s right.
 

                      
President. Barack. Obama. NOT EVEN 5 MINUTES FROM OUR HOUSE! He had a talk about Job creation at Eastfield College, which is where Nick goes. Unfortunately, I only found out about this on the way home from work. For the rest of car ride, I was looking for a motorcade passing in the westbound lane.

Sadly, I did not see it.

Then, when I went to kickboxing tonight, I was all excited about it. I noticed that I started getting the same kind of dirty looks that I gave when I found out George W. Bush was flying in, so I put a lid on it and started the workout.

Turbo Kickboxing class at 24 Hour Fitness wears me out. I get home from class, take a shower, make dinner, and for the rest of the night, I’m sprawled out on the couch, back of the wrist laying delicately upon my brow in a kind of Victorian faint…  *ahem* while watching The Biggest Loser.

(on  my Christmas list)



Serendipitously enough, my company catered way too much food for some out-of-towners that were in our office today.. AND I had a big tupperware with me. What are the odds. So I brought home a large pile of fajita junk for Nick to eat, and I am eating leftovers.

So I’ve decided to show you what I’m going to eat for breakfast!

They’re called ‘Overnight Oats’. Basically, you assemble your oatmeal, put saran wrap over it, and let it sit.. wait for it.. overnight. By morning your oats are chewy and delicious. I really like this method because it saves a lot of time in the morning. Well… 2 minutes, at least.

I’ve heard that this method of oatmeal making is really common in Sweden. I would think that in Sweden, they’d prefer a bowl of piping-hot oatmeal. But maybe they’re pressed for time in the morning as well.

Pumpkin Overnight Oats:
1/3 cup old fashioned rolled oatmeal
1 TBSP Flax seeds or Chia seeds (optional, but it does affect texture. Chia makes the oatmeal thicker)
½ tsp Pumpkin pie spice (or ¼ tsp cinnamon, 1/8 tsp ginger, 1/8 nutmeg)
2/3 cup Soy or almond milk
1/3 cup pureed pumpkin
½ TBSP Pure maple syrup (or molasses , if you want it more gingerbready.. but you might have to futz with the sweetness)

Mix all together, and Soak overnight.

Next morning:

Top with ½ TBSP maple syrup and a few crushed pecans.  That’s optional, but damn tasty.

I know this doesn't look promising, but it tastes good. Really!!



And now if you’ll excuse me.. *faint*

No comments:

Post a Comment