Sunday, October 9, 2011

Rain rain, won't you stay?

Another relaxing Sunday over here! I wound up going to bed pretty early last night (about 11) and sleeping in until 10. I always find it interesting, the ways that increasing your running mileage affects the body. Last week, I was starving. This time, I was really sleepy.. And it's definitely interesting to me that I used to run 5-6 miles on the treadmill without these kind of effects.

Well, anyway, I woke up and I was in the mood for hot oatmeal. I decided to make the first recipe I'd ever made from OhSheGlows.com.  It's called Hot Pumpkin Pie oatmeal. It's seriously like eating dessert for breakfast. Oh, man.

Hot Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal
-1/3 cup oatmeal
-1 cup almond or soy milk
-1/3 cup pumpkin
-1/2 Tbsp chia or ground flax seeds
-1 tsp pumpkin pie spice (or 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp ginger, 1/8 tsp nutmeg)
1/2 tsp vanilla

Heat oats and milk on the stove until it's on a low boil. Stir in Pumpkin and Chia or Flax seeds and heat for about 5-7 minutes. Add spices and vanilla and heat 5-7 more minutes, stirring frequently.

THEN, and this is the best part, you add the topping. First add:

-1/2 tsp Earth Balance (or margarine)
-1 Tbsp pure maple syrup
-1 Tbsp almond or soy milk
-1 Tbsp chopped pecans

I ran out of pecans, but it was pretty easy to chop up some almonds. The oatmeal itself is pretty good, but the topping takes it from 'pretty good' to 'out of this world'. 

It doesn't look too appetizing, but trust me. It's delicious. It makes the kitchen smell really good, too.

Then I went grocery shopping, filled up the car with gas, and right when I pulled in under the carport, it began to rain. It's been dark and cloudy and raining on and off every since. I absolutely love it!

I'm just longing for a week long vacation when I sit in an overstuffed chair, reading my 'Cat Who' mystery books with a cup of coffee and the windows open, listening to rain pour down on the tin roof. Maybe I could do this in Seattle? I've always loved it when it rains, but I think living in Texas has made me especially appreciative of precipitation.

We ended up having the Vegan Pizza tonight instead. Here are the steps:

Herbed dough rising & chopped tomatoes and onions about to roast



Pesto goes on the stretched crust as a sauce:




Spread roasted veggies and vegan Parm Cheese over the top:




Take out of 500 degree oven. Pair with wine. Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment