Sunday, October 16, 2011

Forks over Knives, and a bizarro vegan fall dessert!


                        
Nick and I watched the documentary Forks over Knives last night, and I really enjoyed it. It was pretty much the cut down, visual representation of The China Study. It gave a little bit of background into Dr. Esselston and Dr. Campbell and how they both came to the conclusions they did. What I really liked, along with the statistics, is that they had a few people start out on the Vegan diet and then checked back on their progress a few months later to see what had happened to their blood pressure, weight, cholesterol levels, diabetes, ect. 
 In many cases the sicknesses had reversed themselves, and the people didn’t have to take meds anymore.

Most incredible was the claim that cancer growth could basically be turned on and off. ‘On’ being when animal protein is consumed, ‘off’ when stopped.  I feel like this is sort of.. I don’t know. Too good to be true? I’m a little incredulous and skeptical. But if it IS true, that’s amazing.

Of course, Nick, who is taking statistics, kept trying to knock down the statistics, or say that there were things that they probably weren’t accounting for. That may be true, but I still felt like there was adequate evidence to back up their claim.

Of course, I’m someone who wants their info to be correct, so I think you should draw your own conclusions! :)
“Forks Over Knives” is available on Netflix Instant Streaming, if you happen to have Netflix.

Now, the bizarro dessert!  Nick loves brownies, and pumpkin pie is his favorite fall time dessert. So what happens when we mix them together? Absolute genius, or complete disaster? We’re about to find out! This one is also from Angela over at OhSheGlows.com.

Brownie pumpkin pie w/ pecan crumble topping



Today is a low key dinner of a Curry Burger and Sweet Potato fries tonight. Celebrating the return of The Walking Dead on AMC!


 And of course, a piece of brownie pumpkin pie for dessert!

It's a little blurry, because I tried to get a close up of the layers. Isn't it pretty? It was delicious! I think my only change might be to cut down on the pecan topping next time. Or maybe JUST pecans without the butter and brown sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment