Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Lentil Soup - ONE POT TO RULE THEM ALL!


Ahhh, another delightful day of rest! 

It was a semi-stressful day of work, so I’m feeling sort of pleasantly exhausted. I hit the library on my way home, and you know what that means.. Yep. 5 more ‘Cat Who..’ books!

So I know I said I was going to do a write up of the lentil loaf recipe. But after making some amazing lentil soup tonight, I decided to share this one.

Here’s the link for the Lentil Loaf recipe, from OhSheGlows.com. The only changes I made to it were using pecans instead of walnuts, using dates instead of raisins, and omitting the apple butter for the ‘glaze’.  It still worked beautifully!

http://ohsheglows.com/2011/01/01/ultimate-vegan-lentil-walnut-loaf/

The best part of this lentil soup recipe. There’s only one pot! ONE POT TO RULE THEM ALL!



This is actually my Mom’s lentil soup. And I think it used to be my Grandfather’s lentil soup. But it can be your lentil soup, too. Because this recipe is just a base and you can kind of mess around with it. Just be careful. One time my mom added rice instead of barley and there were TONS of leftovers.

(Insert Your Name Here) Lentil Soup

1lb bag of lentils
10 cups of water
¼ cup canola or olive oil
½ cup pearled barley
1 or more potato (I use2  reds with the skins on)
1 carrot
2 celery stalks
1 onion
1 can diced tomatoes (I used 1 tomato, chopped)
1 Tbsp Parsely
3 tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper

-I Usually start out by putting the oil in the pot and throwing the chopped onion in there. While that’s cooking, chop the celery and carrot. Throw them in the pot.



Chop potato, chuck it in. Then throw in the barley, lentils, water (or veggie stock), diced tomatoes (undrained), and herbs.


I had some leftover mushrooms, so I threw those in.

Cover the pot, bring the soup to a boil.. then turn down and simmer for about an hour.

 
It will be super hot. So either wait awhile, or bring out the ice cubes. Crusty bread is recommended! You could also add different spices to change the flavor. Like Rosemary, or Basil. Actually, I’m thinking I might add some curry next time!

3 comments:

  1. Huh. I never thought of putting mushrooms in lentil soup. I'll have to try it.

    My current favorite thing is lentil soup with dumplings, which isn't vegan but you could easily vegan-ify it by using nondairy milk for the dumplings and leaving out the egg.

    http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/vegetablesoupwithdumplings.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that looks really interesting. I've made cornmeal based dumplings in a chili before, but not something like in a lentil soup... I'll have to give that a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It got stuck in my brain after I got chicken dumpling soup stuck in my head. It's a good quick meal - make the soup, cook it, wander off and leave the dumplings to cook, then eat it. And, if you eat most of the batch yourself like I do, eat it and eat it and eat it.

    ReplyDelete