Monday, October 3, 2011

A Case of the Mondays


Happy Monday!

Sort of.

It was a fairly uneventful day. I wrote up a segment for the blog on my ‘weight loss journey’ during my lunch break, but I forgot to send it to myself. So it’s still sitting at work.

Unfortunately, my pace today went back up to 11:15. Still, not too bad.

Lap pace: 11:15
Distance: 3.5 miles
Temp: 83 degrees.

I blame the heat. 

If you’re wondering why I always mention the temperature, it’s because part of my run takes me by a bank clock that gives the time and temp. So I always know exactly what temperature to complain about. 

And, as always, I try to run at dusk. So you can imagine that I’m not really in the mood to cook when I get back. But does that stop me? No! I simply make things that are really easy and fast. Like this:

15 min. Creamy Avocado Pasta. (If you’re sensing a trend… Well… Avocados were 4 for $5 at the store this weekend)

Recipe is quick! 

1- Go buy a food processor

2- Chuck in 2-3 cloves of garlic, 2 Tbsp olive oil and ½ lemon’s worth of lemon juice. Process it!

3- Chuck in an avocado (peeled and pitted. I’m pretty sure I don’t have to say it.. but you never know..) with a ½ tsp kosher salt, ½ tsp basil (or a few basil leaves if YOUR basil plant made it through the summer. Not that I’m bitter. Harumph.) Process until it’s a creamy sauce. You may have to add a little water.

4- Dump it over 2-3 servings of the pasta of your choice. I am partial to linguine. Voila!


.. and as long as you’ve got the lemon, throw some zest on it. Everything’s better with zest! It’s an alfredo-like sauce that’s very garlicky and lemony. Just mix it up, pair it with a salad.. a little basalmic vinegar.. a small glass of red wine. Antioxidants are very important for running in the heat. Pretty sure I read that somewhere.




Now I only made a small amount, because avocado doesn't tend to keep well. However, I've made this recipe before, and it's been okay a day or so later.

And now, off for some stimulating TV watching involving dinosaurs. Bon Nuit!


1 comment:

  1. that looks delightful! I am making that tonight.

    loving your blog-I'd love to hear some more about your journey into vegetarianism...I have been too on-again and off-again with it- need motivation!!

    also, let me know if you'd want a running partner for your race- I can always come down :-)

    ReplyDelete