Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Day of Rest

Ahhhh, the good 'ole DOR. Day of Rest. No running! No kickboxing! No weight lifting! This calls for a trip to the library.

Here's what my night looks like.



But before I settle into my comfy chair, I have to cook dinner! I'm going to make the OhSheGlow's perfect veggie burger. Found at this link: http://ohsheglows.com/2011/07/13/our-perfect-veggie-burger/

I'm gonna talk about kale. This is my first try at Kale Chips. I can't find Kale at my Kroger in Mesquite, TX. Some joker replaced them all with mustard leaves and collard greens. But I DID find them at Whole Foods. I got one cat's worth.

 Here's what you do:

1. Put the cat back on the floor.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
3. Put the cat back on the floor.
4. Tear Kale into 2 inch or so sized 'torn pieces'. As much as will fit a single layer of your pan.
5. Ugh! Cat! Back on floor!
6. Pour a couple teaspoons of Olive oil and swish the leaves and oil around with your (washed!) hands.
7. Sprinkle a little kosher salt over the leaves.

Bake on one side for 7 minutes. Flip and bake for 4 more minutes.

Remove and eat!
Don't worry, they cook down:


My first batch of kale was phenomenal. They were crispy and light. They almost crumbled to a delicate powder on my tongue.

My second batch was just as light and airy, but WAY salty. I got a little carried away with the chip analogy, and needed to down a big bottle of water to kill the salt. So yes, you CAN overdo it on the salt. Try to go for a 'light sprinkle'.

Where are my blood pressure pills again?

Another lesson learned is that a lot of ketchup, while tasty, is not very aesthetically pleasing.

No comments:

Post a Comment