Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Not your Grandma's Sweet Potato Casserole - recipe and review


Video game blocked!

I was heading out the door with my gym bag over my shoulder when Nick stopped me. ‘You have to come straight home!’, he said, ‘Assassin’s Creed 3 comes out today and I need the car!’

Well, okay.  I know it sounds ridiculous, but we’ve been waiting for this game to come out for awhile.

THEN, as if the workout gods were disappointed with me, our building’s fire alarm went off. Down we went! 15 flights of stairs, only to be told that it was a FALSE ALARM when we reached the bottom! My coworkers were not happy. 

My ankle is actually feeling good today. No limping. I’m preemptively icing it, just in case.

Today I wanted to try out a ‘Thanksgiving’ Recipe from OhSheGlows.com. It’s called:

Not your Grandmother’s Sweet Potato Casserole 

-4 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cooked
-2 Tbsp Earth Balance (margarine)
-1 tsp vanilla extract
-5 Tbsp Pure maple syrup
-1/2 tsp fine grain salt
-3/4 tsp nutmeg
-3/4 tsp cinnamon

Topping:
-3/4 cup chopped pecans
-1/2 cup brown sugar
-1/3 cup white flour
-1/4 cup Earth Balance (margarine) slightly melted

-Peel and chop up sweet potatos into chunks. Put in a pot, cover with water, and boil for about 20 minutes.

-While you’re boiling sweet potatoes, mix up the topping. I added all the dry ingredients, stirred it together thoroughly, then the Earth Balance. Stir until it’s completely mixed in.

-Strain sweet potatoes when they’re fork tender, and mash in a big bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients. Spoon into a greased (cooking sprayed) 2 qt casserole dish.

-Give the Topping one last stir and sprinkle it all over the SP mix.

-Bake at 350 for 50 minutes.

It’s absolutely delicious. The casserole is sweet, but not too sweet. Then the topping is crunchy and almost candy like. Marshmallows were not missed. I would definitely consider taking this to any Holiday pot luck.  My only issue was that I didn’t want to wait for it to cool down!


Here it is, pictured with the rest of my meal:



Chickpea cutlet with carmelized onions and Sweet potato casserole.

So, no kickboxing tonight. But I will do some yoga moves.

2 comments:

  1. eeeeee!!!! We have been waiting for Assassin's Creed 3 TOO!!!!! We are very excited-- but need to finish through Skyrim (which is also awesome)-- We were at Trader Joe's after work and aaron pulled out his pre-ordered AC3- and we both shrieked (ok, I shrieked) it will be spectacular- but I swear, I've never been to Venice, and I know the game ruined it for me, because I'd be like "Ahh, so that's where Ezio climbed that wall and was all Sexy....droool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was really impatient to find out what happened, so I watched the AC:3 opening.. AHHH IT'S SO GREAT! Ezio has gotten better with age, imo. Like a fine wine! :)

    I'm definitely getting Skyrim for Christmas. Although, Now I'm not sure I can wait so long, I keep hearing such amazing things about it!

    ReplyDelete