Tuesday, November 29, 2011

DOMS and Quinoa


*whimper*

DOMS – Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness. The pain and stiffness felt in muscles several hours to days after unaccustomed or strenuous exercise.

Oh yeah. I’m feeling it. I spent my lunch hour stretching and doing some yoga. Then kickboxing after work. I could hardly lift my arms over my head! I knew that the muscle soreness happened, just not what it's name was. Good thing tomorrow is a rest day.

Also, I felt self conscious because I had a new shirt on. Don’t you hate that? There’s a lot to be said for a comfy old tshirt.

Today I made one of Nick’s favorites! It’s pretty easy, too. It’s another Quinoa salad.

Quinoa, corn and avocado salad
-1 cup Quinoa (rinsed and cooked, per box instructions)
-1 can black beans, rinsed.
-1 red pepper, chopped
-1/4 cup chopped cilantro
-2 green onions, chopped
-1 can corn (drained and rinsed)
-1 small avocado
-1 chopped jalapeno, deseeded. (optional)
Dressing:
-4 Tbsp lime juice (1 lime squeezed)
-1/2 tsp salt
-1/2 tsp black pepper
-1 garlic clove, minced
-1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
-1/4 cup olive oil
-1/2 tsp cumin
-While you’re cooking quinoa, chop up, de-can, strain and rinse everything you need for the salad in a huge bowl. 

-Mix up the dressing in a small separate bowl, and whisk.

-Mix Quinoa with the salad.. mix the dressing in with the quinoa salad. 

You’re done!


It’s a beautiful, flavorful salad or side dish. Really great. I made it with black bean quesadillas.. no queso included! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment