Monday, November 14, 2011

2 Year Anniversary! .. and Farmer's Market Spaghetti Sauce

November 14!
Two years ago this date, Nick and I got married.  Where does the time go?
*Caution* This journal entry is not completely vegan.

First, let me just get this out of the way:

I ran 5.1 miles today!  And my ankle did not give out! Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt.

I did it in 1:01:00, and it was 80 degrees out. Wow. Some fall, right?

But it was beautiful weather for going to the Ft. Worth Zoo! We went yesterday, and also went out to dinner. So this is sort of yesterday + today's blog. Ha! A blog of yesterday and today!

It was further away than I thought. But it was a lovely shaded walk, with the sounds of running water. I’ll post a couple of my favorite zoo pics.

The sign said that this was a bongo, but I think it was a different kind.

A Meerkat!
And, my favorite.. The Siberian Tiger!


THEN, we went to the Mellow Mushroom (a restaurant that I’ve heard great things about!)

I ordered the Magical Mystery Tour: It had Portobello mushrooms, regular mushrooms, a pesto base, spinach, feta cheese and…. Jalapenos! I was thinking of getting them without, but then I thought I might be missing out on an amazing flavor experience. It WAS really good. The beer list was phenomenal, too. We were able to get Full Sail Amber Ale ON TAP!

(Mine's on top. Ignore the bacon)
*NOTE* A great thing about The Mellow Mushroom is that they actually do cater to vegans. They can replace the cheese with Daiya non-dairy cheese. I didn’t do that in this case, because I figured the feta would still be non-vegan, and possibly the garlic buttered crust, too. So I just got it as is. But it is a Vegan Friendly restaurant.

Then today, I decided to try my hand at throwing together a spaghetti sauce out of the stuff I bought at the Farmer’s Market.

I carmelized 1 sliced yellow onion in 2 Tbsp of olive oil.
I added 2 minced garlic cloves and let them cook for about a minute.
Then I added ½ cup of Shiraz. (a dry red wine). Woo! Then added chopped fresh oregano, basil and rosemary to this.  I also added chopped portobello mushrooms. I let it simmer for a few minutes.
Then I added the chopped tomatoes. I decided to add about 1 Tbsp of tomato paste and basalmic vinegar.
Later on, I wondered if maybe I should add some sugar, and added 1 tsp. 

Came out pretty great! I served it on the spinach linguine I ALSO got at that Farmer’s Market. I really do need to go back there.

And when I was cooking, Nick decided to clean the living room and vacuum the floor. 

So all in all, it was a very nice anniversary! I was planning on making a vegan crockpot cake. (Sounds interesting, right?) But after my run, and stuff I wasn’t feeling it. We’ll have cake later. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment