Saturday, November 19, 2011

The Good, the Bad and The Ugly.. and the Stuffed Fungus!


These past couple days have been like The Good, The Bad and The Ugly around here.

Friday was terrible. The ugly, I guess you could say. I got a flat tire on the way to work.  It happened right on I-30 (busy busy highway) and I was pretty freaked out.  I called Geico’s Road Side Assistance number, and they said they were sending a tow truck out.

About 40 minutes later, they call back and say the guy can’t find me. Not sure why, I could give a pretty definite location seeing as how I was staring at the Ferguson Rd. Exit 50 sign for 40 minutes. My phone's battery was dying and I was getting really nervous. ANYWAY, he eventually did get to me. He dropped me and the car off at Discount Tire. My tire was covered under their warrantee program. So they gave me a new one, and sent me on my merry way.

I got in to work at 10, and already I wanted to turn around and go home.

Today has been better, though.

I tried to run my 9 miles, but I decided not to.  My ankle was feeling a little tender. Weird. So that’s bad. But I’ll give it another shot tomorrow morning.

Although, since I could not run my miles, I was able to go to the Farmer’s Market again!  YAY! The Good!

I really enjoy going to the Farmer’s Market.  Especially the second time, seeing everyone there, and kind of knowing where things are, is really neat.

Here’s my Haul:


-Hand roasted, organic, fair trade (ect, ect,) Coffee! What’s really exciting about this coffee is that the guy came out from Rockwall. That’s practically in our backyard! I foresee several trips to Rockwall in my near future.
-Cremini mushrooms – 1lb
-2 gorgeous tomatoes
-4 onions
-4 Large Sweet Potatoes
-Fresh Cilantro
-Red Potatoes
-Portobello Linguine
-Basil
-A tiny pumpkin pie (for Nick)

 I’m extremely excited about the basil. As you can see, it came in a bag, with its roots. The guy said to change its water everyday, and it’ll last about 2-3 weeks. This is pretty much my ideal basil situation. I can keep it on the counter, and cut off of it. It might grow some more leaves, but it’s got a shelf life. So I don’t have to feel bad when I (inevitably) kill it.


Also, it’s very pretty.

So speaking of the Farmer’s Market and mushrooms.. Do you remember last week when I told you about the Portobello mushroom as big as my hand? (Maybe even two hands) Well, I couldn’t bring myself to cut it up. It was simply too beautiful.

Also, I felt like I had to show it off. IT IS NOT TO BE BELIEVED! 

Look at the sized of this thing! And I am 5' 10" with hands fit to proportion. I do not have small hands.

I’m going to make a throw-together stuffed Portobello mushroom for lunch.

First, preheat the oven to 450 degrees.

-Add 1 Tbsp olive oil and 1 Tbsp Soy sauce, (also a little Dijon mustard if you have it) and rub the mushroom cap down in it, then cap up. Leave it with the cut side facing up. Bake for 10 min.

-Then I checked out my cabinets to see what I had. Hmm.. ¼ cup of couscous, 13 grape tomatoes and ¼ of an eggplant? That works!

-I prepared the couscous according to box instructions and set aside.

-Then I added a little oil and balsamic vinegar and sautéed the diced eggplant for about 5 min. Then tossed in the grape tomatoes… couple more minutes.. Then added a couple leaves of my new basil plant! Also, a little salt and garlic powder.


-After the mushroom comes out of the oven, stuff it!  Then put it back for about 10 more minutes.

Voila!  And if you’re wondering if I ate the whole thing… Yes, I ate the whole thing. I only had an English muffin for breakfast (thinking I was going to run) and then by the time I got home from the Farmer’s Market it was 12:30. LAY OFF ME, I WAS STARVING! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment