Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Lentil Black Bean Stew


Good news: Dinner was a success!

Bad news:  There’s no leftovers. :(

Today was a brisk 55 degrees. So I got home, opened the windows and decided to make the Lentil Black bean stew from Runner’s World. You know what goes really well with Stew? Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms! I actually talked my husband out of eating his. He’s weirded out by eating big mushrooms. His loss. And I get to pack it for lunch! Yay!

I definitely recommend this stew, though.  It is really good.

Red Lentil and Black Bean stew – Runner’s World
½ large onion
1 minced garlic clove
½ tsp chili powder
½ tsp cumin
¼ tsp paprika
2 cups veggie broth
1 Tbsp tomato paste
½ cup red lentils (I actually had some from a previous cooking venture. Regular would probably work)
1 can rinsed black beans
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
Squeeze half a lemon
Garnish with cilantro

-Chop the ½ onion and saute in a pot on med. Heat until soft. Add garlic, paprika, chili powder and cumin. Stir for a minute.  Add 2 cups of veggie broth. Bring to a boil. Dump lentils in. Lower heat to a simmer and cook for about 25 min.

-Partially mash the rinsed canned beans and add to the stew along with salt, pepper, and lemon juice.  Cook 5 minutes .

-Garnish with cilantro!


Good stuff! You might want to double the batch because I feel like we didn’t have enough.

My ankle’s feeling good today! I think I’m going to attempt a run tomorrow. Definitely going to take it slow and stop at the first sign of sharp pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment