Sunday, March 25, 2012

The Weekend, and Portobello Pepper Steak Stew

So it's been a pretty great weekend! Better than I originally thought. On Saturday, I went to the gym, and then met my friend Shannon at the Farmer's Market. Her brother is starting up a coffee company. Noble Coyote Coffee. I bought some Decaf, and I'm drinking it now! I know, I know.. decaf. But I'm starting to be worried about nightly coffee drinking messing with my sleep.

Then today, I met my friend Jessica out for brunch at Bread Winner's Cafe. They were having a Hunger Games Menu with Katniss Everdeen Quiche (which Jess ordered), and Nightlock Waffles and District 12 Stack of Pancakes. Haha. Myself, I had the Veggie Scramble.

So here's what I ate today:

Breakfast:
Tofu Scramble w/ Baguette

Brunch:
Veggie Scramble over roasted potatoes
Coffee

Snack:
Ezekial Bread w/ Hummus

Dinner
Portobello Pepper Steak Stew
Baguette
1/2 cup Red Wine

Snack:
2 Peanut butter choc. chip cookies

I mowed the lawn today, so I felt like I deserved them. Our lawn SUCKS. The back half is basically at a 45 degree angle. Not cool, lawn.

Also, I got these Portobellos from the Farmer's Market! :)

Portobello Pepper Steak Stew

-2 tsps olive oil
-2 cups Seitan
-1 red onion
-1 red bell pepper sliced,
-1 green bell pepper sliced
-Big Pinch of Salt
-2 Portobello caps, sliced into 1/4 inch strips
-2 cloves garlic, minced
-1/2 tsp fennel seeds, crushed (I chop it with my knife)
-1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt
-1/4 tsp pepper flakes
-1/2 cup dry red wine
-2 cups veggie broth
-3 Tbps all purpose flour

-Preheat skillet with 1 tsp olive oil over med-high heat. Saute seitan for about 5 minutes, until browned. Remove from pan and set aside.

-Saute onions and peppers and a pinch of salt in the remaining oil until the peppers are blackened. About 10 minutes.

-Add mushrooms, garlic, and spices. Saute for 3 more minutes.

-Add the red wine and bring to a boil over higher heat, for about 3 more minutes.

-Mix flour and veggie broth in a bowl and whisk.

-Lower the heat of the saute pan and add the 'slurry'. Mix well and let thicken for a minute.

-Add seitan back to the pan and let the stew thicken furthur. About 5 minutes more.

This is a thick, hearty stew that's good for eating on rolls. Even after mowing the lawn on an 80 degree plus day. haha

No comments:

Post a Comment