Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Day 2 Meal log - Butternut Squash, lentils over linguine

Day 2 of strict point counting is actually going well! I know that on paper it looks like I'm eating a lot. I'm trying to eat about 5 mini meals, so my portions are not very big. I hear several small meals every 3 hours or so revs your metabolism. And when I plan them out like this, it's easy for me to forgo bites of something because I know what I'll be eating in less than 3 hours.

So today I've eaten:

Breakfast:
Tofu scramble w/ salsa
1 slice Ezekial sprouted wheat toast
1 cup plain soy milk

Snack:
Smoothie - 1/2 mango, 1/2 cup strawberries, 1 cup soy milk

Lunch:
Leftovers - Polenta w/ Seared Mushroom tomato sauce
1 cup green grapes

Snack:
Oatmeal w/ 1/2 banana
Coffee

Dinner:
Roasted butternut squash, lentils, diced tomatoes over whole wheat linguine
Salad w/ 2 Tbsps Walnuts and basalmic vinegar

Here it is:



Recipe:

½ cup brown lentils
1 medium butternut squash, peeled, halved, seeded, chopped
2 Tbsp olive oil
½ cup minced yellow onion
4 garlic cloves
2 tsp dried sage
1 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes, undrained
1 cup veggie stock
12 oz linguine

This is prework: you need to cook the lentils and roast the squash first.

1- Bring the lentils to a boil in a medium saucepan. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 45 min.

2- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Oil a pan that will hold all the squash. Cut it into ½ “ cubes. So be careful. And then roast for 30 min.

3- In a large skillet, add the chopped onion and 1 Tbsp olive oil. Saute about 5 min. Add garlic and cook for about 30 sec. Add sage, tomatoes, cooked lentils and veggie stock. Season w/ salt and pepper. Simmer about 5 min. You can use an immersion blender or a reg. blender if you want to make this sauce creamier.
Stir in the roasted squash and keep warm over low heat.

Cook the pasta according to the directions and toss the lentil squash mixture and pasta to combine.
 
 
Actually, I have to brag about something! I just got some blood work back recently. My numbers are not too bad for a near Vegan. :)
 
Glucose: 85  (norm - 65 - 100)
Potassium: 4.9 (norm 3.5 - 5.3)
Calcium: 9.6 (norm 8.5 - 10.5)
Protein: 7.6 (norm 6.0 - 8.4)
Cholesterol: 166 (norm - less than 200)

No comments:

Post a Comment