Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Polenta with Pan-Seared Mushrooms and Tomatoes

Hi, I'm back!

Well, I've gained a bit of weight. So frustrating. I have been following Weight Watchers pretty well, but I'm at a standstill. When WW introduced their new program, they made fruits and vegetables 0 points. Trying to get people to eat more of them, I suppose. The 'problem', I guess, is that I mostly eat fruits and veg! So I'm going to go back to counting fruits and veg into my daily points and see if that makes a difference.

Also, I got new shoes! I'm actually not sure if I like them. Ha! They are a little more snug on my feet than I'm used to. I'm not sure if this is something that's different in a good way, or if I need to exchange them.. But they are pretty! :)


Maybe I'll also try to log here, what I've eaten. Who knows, that kind of accountability might help! So this was my normal 'not counting points' meals. But now I am going to start with the points.

Breakfast:
Overnight Pumpkin Oats
Cup of plain soy milk
coffee

Snack:
Mango Strawberry smoothie (made with soy milk)

Lunch:
Cup of Mexican brown rice and bean Salsa Bake

Snack
Oatmeal w/ 1/2 banana
Protein Shake

Dinner:
Polenta with Pan Seared Mushrooms and Tomatoes

And here's a picture of my dinner!


Recipe:

Polenta part:
-3 1/2 cup water
-1 cup medium ground cornmeal
salt

-1/4 cup soy milk (or almond)

-In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and add the cornmeal and salt to taste, stirring constantly. Cook, stirring, until thick. About 20 min. During the last 5 min, stir in soy milk.

Tomato Mushrooms part
-1Tbsp Olive oil
-8 oz sliced white mushrooms
-2 garlic cloves, minced.
-1 tsp dried basil
-1/4 cup white wine
-1 28oz can crushed tomatoes

-Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a large skillet over med high heat. Add mushrooms and sear on both sides. Reduce the heat to medium, and add the garlic, basil, salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the wine, cook down for a couple minutes. Add crushed tomatoes and simmer for about 10 minutes.

Spoon polenta into the bowl, add sauce/mushrooms on top and sprinkle a little chopped basil on top, if you're trying to be a fancy pants. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment