Thursday, January 12, 2012

You! Yes, you Miss Scarlet! Scarlet Rice!

This has been a long long week. Long. It's not even over, yet! We've still got Friday. Ugh.

Did a weights workout tonight. Short, but intense!

I was a little skeptical of this dish. I've had beets before, but not really as a main dish type thing.  But it looked so easy to make. I had all the ingredients, I just needed a beet! Could someone give me a beet?

Scarlet Rice
-1 tsp olive oil
-2 cloves garlic, minced
-1 bay leaf
-1 cup pearl barley
-2 1/2 cups veggie broth
-1/4 tsp salt
-1 beet, grated (I couldn't find a fresh beet, so I minced the hell out of about 3/4 a can of whole beets)
-juice of 1/2 lemon

-Preheat a pot over medium heat. Saute the garlic in the olive oil for about 30 seconds.

-Add several pinches of pepper and the bay leaf. Add the barley, broth and salt. Bring to a boil, and reduce heat to low. Cook for about 20 min, stirring occasionally.

-Mix in the grated (or minced) beet. Cook for about 20 more minutes.

-Add lemon juice and taste for salt. Cover and let sit for about 10 more minutes.

I had roasted cauliflower and a salad with chickpeas with it!

The Scarlet barley was delicious! Lemony with a chewy texture. I heard that beets might make your urine red, though. So if you eat this dish and you pee red, you probably aren't bleeding internally. In all other cases, go to the hospital!

No comments:

Post a Comment