Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Caribbean Curried BEP with Plantains gives you a kick!

It was rainy and cold today, and I had a headache for most of it. I really think it was the sudden weather change that was responsible. Regardless, I went to kickboxing anyway. Surprisingly, I felt better after!

Well, I'm being brave tonight. Trying a couple things that I've never done before. You'll see what I mean. I made:

Caribbean Curried Black-Eyed Peas with Plaintains (from Appetite for Reduction)

-1 tsp olive oil
-1/4 cup chopped shallot
-1 red bell pepper
-1 habanero pepper (YES, AN HABANERO PEPPER!)
-3 cloves garlic
-2 tsps minced fresh ginger
-2 bay leaves
-1 star anise (I couldn't find this, so I used 1 tsp of ground anise)
-2 tsps mild curry powder
-pinch cinnamon
-3 sprigs of thyme
-1/2 tsp salt
-3/4 cup light coconut milk
-3/4 cup water
-1 can drained and rinsed Black Eyed Peas
-1 tsp light agave nectar (oops, I forgot to add)
-juice from 1/2 lime (forgot to add this, too!)
-2 ripe plaintains, cut into 1" chunks (I only used 1)
-Cooked brown rice

-First, I put the rice on. Because I didn't have any leftover rice. I use Texmati Brown rice, which is a type of basmati.

-Then I sliced the plaintain, and put it in the steamer basket. Steam for 5 min.


-Chop up shallots, red bell pepper and habanero pepper, and Sautee in 1 tsp of olive oil for 5 minutes.


-Add minced garlic, ginger, bay leaves and anise. Sautee for two minutes.


-Add a splash of water, curry powder, cinnamon, and thyme sprigs. Stir for about 30 seconds.

-Add salt, coconut milk, water, and beans. Cover and heat for 5 minutes.


-Add agave and lime, and turn off the heat. Let it sit for about 10 minutes.

-Remove thyme sprigs and bay leaves, and star anise if you could find it. I'd have a hell of a time removing the anise powder. haha.

-Serve Beans over brown rice and top with the plantains.


That's right, you guys! I tried habanero pepper for the first time in my cooking. We're still alive! It was actually a nice heat, combined with the rice and sweet plantains, it was a great flavor. It definitely put a kick in my blah day!

No comments:

Post a Comment