Thursday, December 29, 2011

Birthday Eve and Caulipots!

I am super excited that tomorrow is my birthday! I have the perfect day planned. It doesn't include cooking dinner, either, so don't expect a blog. It'ssort of a tight schedule and it involves:
-Working out
-Going to Movies
-Going to Spiral Diner
-Getting a massage
-Going to Starbucks and reading (using free birthday drink coupon!)
-Meeting Jessica at Happy Hour and going out to dinner.

Pretty awesome, right? I sure know how to get older! :D


Today I got outside and ran 3.1 miles (because I'm turning 31!), and the weather was beautiful. It was around 60 degrees out.

Then I decided to try a recipe from my new cookbook! It's called Appetite for Reduction, and it's a low-fat Vegan cookbook. Perfect for bringing in the New Year, wouldn't you say?


I actually made something I never thought I would. Isa Chandra calls them 'Caulipots', and it's basically mashed potatoes, replacing some of the potatoes with cauliflower. I wouldn't say I 'couldn't tell' that they were in there, but I think it added a nice flavor to it!

Easy Caulipots- Serves 4
-2 Russett potatoes, peeled and chopped into 3/4" pieces
-1/2 head of cauliflower (I used 1 whole, since it was a small head. Aim for 3 cups)
-1Tbsp olive oil
-2 Tbsp veggie broth
-1/2 tsp salt
-pinches of pepper

-First, chop the potatoes and put them in a big pot of water. You need to leave enough room for the cauliflower. When it comes to a boil, add the cauliflower. Boil for about 15 min. I let it go a little longer, because I was cooking something else. Mash with a potato masher. It can be a little chunky. Add broth, olive oil, salt and pepper and stir around.

Light, fluffy, and delicious!



I topped it with another recipe from the book, called 'Mushroom & Cannelini Paprikas. Here's what dinner looked like!

Don't worry, it's a salad plate!

1 comment:

  1. Happy birthday!

    I'm integrating recipes from Appetite for Reduction into my meal rotation - it's less daunting than the Veganomicon but there's still a lot of variety.

    ReplyDelete