Thursday, December 1, 2011

Non-toxic Taco Shell Bowls

Sorry I didn’t post last night! I had a killer headache, so I didn’t feel up to it. We had lentil soup and a fabulous kale salad with tahini lemon dressing, whose recipe I will have to post soon.



Today, I was going to do another double workout. Weights during my lunch hour and an outside run when I got home, but only ended up doing the weights.  Oh well, at least I did something.

I saw this cool, how to make a taco shell bowl thing on the internet, so I tried it out!
The instructions said that you should have flour tortillas, oil, an oven proof bowl,  and oven proof string.

What?

After unsuccessfully Googling ‘Is fishing line oven safe?’, I decided to try a way to do it without string.

First, I preheated the oven to 400. Then, I took a tortilla, and heated it up in the microwave for about 15 seconds. Then I brushed a little olive oil on both sides, and put it over an upside down bowl. Then I put an upside down bowl on top of that to kind of weigh it down in a bowl shape. It felt more safe, since I didn’t know if the fishing line would melt, set the tortilla on fire, or poison us.

After 8 minutes, I took the first bowl off, and the tortilla seemed pretty stiff, so I put it back on its own for 10 min.

This is how it turned out:


Oops. The sides have sagged down a bit, but it can still hold salad. Not a total failure. RUSTIC, in fact. The next one, I followed the same instructions, except I put the now bowl shaped torilla in the bowl, as if it was a liner. THAT’S how it keeps a bowl shape. 




I actually made two different taco salads for Nick and myself.

Nick’s has spinach, sauteed onion and pepper, Morningstar ‘beef’ crumbles, taco seasoning and sliced grape tomatoes.



Mine has spinach, sauteed onion and pepper, leftover roasted butternut squash, taco seasoning and sliced grape tomatoes. I'm so mad at myself. Apparently I didn't take a picture of it. Even though the tortilla um.. platter.. looked odd, it did look really good with the filling inside. DAMMIT. Well, you get the idea with Nick's bowl.

I put salsa on top after the pic was taken. Mine, at least, was really good. I was a little concerned about squash in a taco bowl, but somehow it worked!

No comments:

Post a Comment